Psychedelic mushrooms, also known as shrooms, mushies, and magic mushrooms are easy to grow at home. All you need is a set of basic equipment, spores, substrate, and little effort. In this article, we are going to dwell on the step-by-step guidance on how to grow magic mushrooms.
Keep in mind, growing psychedelic mushrooms at home is illegal. This blog post is for informational purposes only.
What do you need to grow magic mushrooms at home?
Magic mushrooms grow in different regions all around the world. However, more and more people are starting to grow shrooms at home because it is a more reliable method not to misidentify mushrooms in the wild. Besides, it is a perfect solution to provide great effect and a year-round supply.
- Drinking water
- Grow bag
- Spore syringe, 10-12 cc
- 12 shoulderless half-pint jars with lids
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cup
- Small nail
- 10 paper towels
- Heavy-duty tin foil
- 50–115L clear plastic storage box
- Drill with the ¼-inch drill bit
- Spray bottle
- Surface disinfectant
- Rubbing alcohol
- Sterilized latex gloves
- Air sanitizer
- Surgical mask
The step-by-step process of growing magic mushrooms
- Prepare jars. Wipe the hammer and nail with alcohol and punch several holes for the lids.
- Prepare substrate. Mix ⅔ cup vermiculite with the ¼ cup water. Use a mixing bowl and add ¼ cup of brown rice flour.
- Fill the jars. It will be enough to fill only half-inch of the jar. Then, drain the water with the help of the strainer (disinfect it before use).
- Steam sterilize. Cover your jars with tin foil. Make sure that the water won’t get through the holes.
- Arrange your jars within the cooking pot. Use paper towels to ensure that the jars don’t touch the base. Place lid on the top. Leave to steam for up to 90 minutes.
- Prepare the spore syringe. Wear latex gloves and pull back the plunger to shake it.
- Inject spores. You should remove the foil and insert the syringe through the hole. Then inject ¼ cc of the spore solution.
- Keep your jars out of direct sunlight. Wait for 7-14 days.
- Cover with a towel to retain moisture. Soak perlite with cold water.
- Remove the substrate cakes from the jars. Leave cakes for 24 hours to rehydrate.
- Remove them and put them on a disinfected surface.
- Wait for mushrooms to appear.
- How long do magic shrooms take to grow?
Finally, your magic mushrooms are ready you may cut them as close as is possible to the base of the birthing cake. Experts recommend not to wait until they reach the very end of their growth because they tend to lose potency. Besides, you can reuse your cakes and, as it was mentioned above, have a year-round supply of the shrooms grown on your own.