If you have ever had back or neck pain, you may have considered going to chiropractic care.
Do you know what can chiropractors treat? What can be cured by this method and is it suitable for you? Then this article is for you.
What is chiropractic?
Chiropractic is one of the promising areas of manual therapy, the main emphasis of which is on restoring the disturbing position of bones, eliminating subluxations and dislocations that occur in the vertebral joints.
A chiropractor’s appointment begins with an interview and examination of the patient. Most specialists ask for an additional X-ray, computer, or magnetic resonance therapy to diagnose the problem.
Treatment sessions are carried out on a massage table in different patient positions – sitting and lying down. What do chiropractors do? Chiropractors use a variety of techniques to correct disorders:
- short, sharp jolts;
- stretching muscles in different directions;
- mobilization (soft, rhythmic movement of body parts to the extreme position);
- manipulation (rapid movement of limbs in the direction of limiting movement).
Usually, the treatment is not painful, but patients may experience discomfort. Sessions last 10-20 minutes. In most patients, improvements are achieved in 6-10 visits. It is necessary to come to a specialist 2-3 times a week.
The chiropractor eliminates pain syndrome, establishes the cause of its occurrence, prescribes a treatment regimen, and saves the achieved results for a long time.
What do chiropractors treat? Chiropractic treatment is recommended mainly for back pain, neck pain, and headaches. There is no scientific evidence that the treatment can help other conditions not related to muscles and joints (such as bronchial asthma). So, what does a chiropractor do?
Pathological conditions and diseases that a chiropractor can correct:
- chronic and acute pain in any part of the spine caused by osteochondrosis, spasm of the paravertebral muscles, hernial protrusion of the intervertebral discs, etc.
- soreness in the cervical spine;
- spinal hernia treatment;
- headaches caused by pathologies of the spine;
- violation of the normal activity of internal organs and systems (diseases of the lungs, digestive system, female and male genitalia, etc.).
Contraindications for chiropractic
An experienced chiropractor only treats conditions that do not require surgery. There are certain contraindications for chiropractic use:
- the presence of malignant tumors;
- intoxication with alcohol, drugs, food, etc.
- skin diseases;
- mental illness;
- acute pathological conditions (bleeding, strokes and heart attacks, thrombosis, intestinal obstruction, etc.).
Chiropractor health is part of complex manual therapy, which also includes medication, physical rehabilitation, massage, and other conservative approaches to the treatment of spinal diseases.
With the correct use of this method, a chiropractor has a pronounced therapeutic effect, it is safe and painless.
Chiropractic is considered safe enough if it is practiced by a competent specialist and strictly according to indications. Complications that can occur in case of incorrect application of the method:
- the development of an intervertebral hernia;
- fractures and sprains;
- compression of roots, nerves, spinal cord, and blood vessels;
- increased pain syndrome.
After the sessions, patients may experience body aches and fatigue. This discomfort usually goes away within 1 to 2 days.